Anyone wishing more complete information on the Peever Lutheran Church and it's former pastors may find it in the 1993 Church directory that is available.



In the year 1902 a group of Norwegian and Danish immigrant settlers saw the need to gather and be nourished by God's Word and Sacraments in the growing community of Peever. Pastor C.M. Peterson began to organize a Lutheran congregation within the area. Pastor Peter Kilnes was called to serve what was then known as the Sisseton Agency Norwegian Lutheran Church and Trinity Lutheran Church in Sisseton, South Dakota. He was installed in 1903.

Services were conducted in the schoolhouse until shortly before Christmas in 1911 when the new church was completed. The lot for the new church at the north end of Peever was donated by Carl J. Rice. Pastor Kilnes and a neighbor boy did most of the excavating for the basement. The boy held the scraper and Pastor Kilnes drove the ponies. Mr. Beito of New Effington, South Dakota was contracted to build the church. Pastor Kilnes served the congregation until 1914.


During the forties and fifties Peever Lutheran, Buffalo Lake Lutheran and One Road Bethel Lutheran were organized into a three point parish.

The present church building was completed in August of 1970.

The present pastor of Peever Lutheran Church is Rev. Sheila Pohl.

On the 2nd and 3rd of August Peever Lutheran congregation celebrated the centennial of the beginning of their church in Peever. A new church directory was printed and also a new cookbook. If you would like a cookbook please let us know. They are $10.00 plus postage.